Car Accidents

If you've had the unfortunate experience of being injured in a car accident, we understand how difficult this time may be for you. In addition to the physical pain and suffering, it's not uncommon for your well-being to take a blow, as well. Questions like, "How soon can I get back to work?" and "Will my insurance do their part?" can cause added stress that you really just don't need right now.

At United Citizen Law, we would like to help alleviate some of those overwhelming feelings. We may not be able to help your body heal, but we can take care of the legalities so you can focus all your energy on getting better.

Car Accidents & California Law

There are a few key things you'll want to remember as we seek compensation:

1. There is a time limit.

If you make the decision to file a lawsuit, there are a couple of deadlines you'll need to keep in mind. If you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit, you have two years from the date of the car accident to do so. The purpose of a personal injury lawsuit is to seek damages for all harm done to you, the person. It doesn't cover the vehicle itself. That type of lawsuit falls under “property damage,” for which the statute of limitations is three years.

Don’t face this fight alone.

Schedule a consultation

2. The at-fault law could limit your compensation.

In California, there are several factors taken into consideration when determining your reward. One of those factors is if you played any role in your own injuries. This is called the “at-fault law” or “comparative negligence.” Whatever percentage of the accident was your fault is the percentage that will be deducted from your reward. This law applies not only to lawsuits, but to insurance claims, as well.

3. You may need to contact the DMV.

There are some circumstances in which the DMV will also need to be notified of the accident. If someone died in the accident, the DMV must be notified within 10 days. Other circumstances include if there are any injuries and if there is property damage that you believe is worth at least $1,000. In these cases, you'll need to complete a Report of Traffic Accident Occurring in California Form (also known as SR-1). You can also have your insurance agent or attorney complete this form for you — which we're glad to take off your plate.

Sacramento Area Car Accident Attorneys

The impact that going through a car accident can have on your life is traumatic and devastating. From the physical pain to the effect it has on your emotional and mental state, no one should have to go through this situation alone. With United Citizen Law, you don't have to. If you've been in a car accident in the Sacramento area, schedule a free consultation today.